Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Whistle While You Work

Hi everyone! It’s been awhile since my last update, but it’s been very busy here. The biggest news I have to share is that while I will be going home in December, I will only be home for about a month and then will be returning to Iganga until June to help get Musana up and running. I am on the Board of Directors now as Overseer of Offices, and am also in charge of the nursery school, which will be at Musana and will have 19 kids in it to start. So it’s all really exciting, and I’m looking forward to being here long enough to really get involved in the process. We finally got Musana registered, and now we are in the process of opening a bank account so we can buy beds, build a kitchen area at the new site, and move the kids in. This past week we have been cleaning the new permanent houses and painting the rooms with some of the kids, which has been hard work but a lot of fun. They are really excited about being part of the process of getting their new home ready, as you can see from the pictures I sent along. Hopefully within the next few weeks we’ll actually get the kids moved in and be able to officially start the orphanage.

My friend Andy turned 21 last week so we took her bunji jumping, which for my mother’s benefit I will not put up more pictures of, but it was a great time. Besides that everything has been pretty normal here. My school is on holiday until late September, so I will be taking a three week trip through Kenya and Tanzania with my friend Heidi, leaving on September 7, so I’m looking forward to that.

Because of my large leadership role at Musana, I will be less involved with the orphanage I was originally affiliated with here, Self Reliance, and because of that any mail you wish to send me, or any donations you wish to send to Musana (i.e. clothes, shoes, books, toys) should be sent to:

Hilary Strasburger

Musana Children’s Home

P.O. Box 35

Iganga, Uganda East Africa

Monetary donations, or any interest in sponsoring children, are still going through ELI for now until we get a Musana NGO set up, and anything you can give is hugely appreciated by us as well as the kids. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the final days of summer. I miss you all tons!

Love,

Hilary

No comments: